Saturday, January 30, 2016

My Horror Journey: An Introduction To An Interview

As anyone who's read my blog knows, and obvious by the content herein, I am a HUGE horror movie fan. It started for me when I was a kid. I was absolutely terrified of horror movies. I remember when I was very little, I used to get so afraid walking by the horror VHS covers in the video store, and there was one especially that had light-up eyes on the cover and played a cheesy MIDI of a high pitched "spooky sound." My dad used to press it because he thought it was funny that I would cover my ears and run away. Needless to say, I was not a brave child. However, one thing that I always noticed after a trip to the video store was that I could never quite tear myself away. I always looked. I always checked out the covers, because deep inside, I kinda liked being scared, and nothing scared me quite like Child's Play.

Several years later, I went to my cousin's birthday party. I was something like 13 years old, and I had still, at that point in my life, never seen a horror movie before, at least not on purpose. I mean, I had seen the older stuff, the Dracula, Frankenstein, Creature From The Black Lagoon (which I always loved), but nothing new, and nothing really scary. My cousin was a big fan, and he decided to spend his birthday playing touch football in the backyard and watching a veritable ton of scary movies. Needless to say, I was less than pleased. I remember calling my mom kinda worried about it, and I ended up telling her that I'd spend several hours with them playing football, and then she could just come and pick me up. It was at that point that my mom said the words that would change my life: "Chris, just give it a try. Watch one."

So I did. I decided then and there that I was 13 (and they were 8, which was a nice blow to the ego), and damnit, I wasn't going to be scared anymore. So he picked the first movie and put it in. The first screen popped up, and I realized what I was in for: Child's Play 3.

And I absolutely fucking loved it. I laughed, I yelled, it was a stupid movie, and it was completely amazing.

From then on, I was insatiable. Movie Gallery (which was a thing that used to exist) ran a 5 for 5 special, where you could rent 5 movies, 5 nights, $5.99, and I spent the next several years doing this every weekend and every 3 days throughout the summer. I rented everything. I must've watched 5000 horror movies over the next 5 years, and I never really slowed down. To this day, horror is by far my favorite genre, and unlike other genres, I can watch great movies, I can watch horrible movies, and I can watch everything in between and not feel like I've wasted my time.

It was during these beginning stages that I discovered the B-Movie, scream queens, and the lovely horror institution that is Charles Band and Full Moon Pictures. I immediately fell in love with a young scream queen named Jacqueline Lovell.

And here I am today. As stated in a previous entry, I was watching two of her movies preparing for my Christmasween celebration, and one thing led to another, and she granted me an interview. I cannot tell you how pumped and excited I've been to work out the details with her, and she's been absolutely amazing through the whole process. 13-year-old me is super jealous of present-day me. As well he should be.

Tonight, this half-rate blogger is going to post an interview with one of his movie heroes, quite possibly his first celebrity crush, and someone that he deeply respects and appreciates, both for her impact on his life and the genre he now knows and love. So without further ado...

No comments:

Post a Comment